[Scpg] Mary Clear from Incredible Edible Todmoren, a small town in Yorkshire/YOU TUBE

Wesley Roe and Santa Barbara Permaculture Network lakinroe at silcom.com
Fri Feb 1 07:37:48 PST 2013

This is a fantastic, funny, inspiring talk given by Mary Clear from
Incredible Edible Todmoren, a small town in Yorkshire whose people
decided they were worried about climate change, food security in Africa
and their children's future.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yUUJsb4V5aU&feature=player_embedded

Mary and her friends, sitting in a kitchen with no money, asked
themselves, "What can we do to create a kinder world?"  They decided to
make their 'community stronger, educate their children in a different
way, create jobs and have fun'. They got together their neighbours,
local doctors, firemen, teachers, school children, even the police, and
have turned their town into an edible landscape where the produce is
freely available to anyone who wants it.

These are ordinary people, not rich, or famous or influential, just
ordinary... They practise the art of 'propaganda gardening', planting up
every available public space in their town, and from their efforts have
sprung businesses, social enterprises, school gardens, a permaculture
training centre, even 'vegetable tourism'! Their work has envigorated
the town's economy and made them famous. Communities throughout the
world have taken Todmorden's model and replicated it.

No one gave them permission. When asked what Mary's one word of advice
was Mary said: "Just do it! The prisons in England are full. I checked.
The prisons in Poland are full too. I checked. Just do it."

Filmed at the 2012 Cohabitat Gathering.